It’s that time of year again. The days are getting colder and shorter, and you start hearing about the latest strain of the flu. Before you consider skipping your flu shot this year, read about the few simple steps you can take to protect you and your family. .
Fast Facts about the Flu:
- Flu season lasts from late October through March, peaking in February.
- Symptoms of the flu include fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headaches and fatigue.
- For the 2019-2020 flu season, the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices recommends that everyone over the age of six months get a flu vaccine.
- According to the CDC, a flu vaccine can reduce the risk of having the flu by 40-60 percent.
- After you get a vaccination, it takes about two weeks for the antibodies that protect against flu to develop in your body.
The single best way to prevent the flu is to get vaccinated each year, as the most common influenza virus strain changes each year. While it’s crucial to get your flu shot, there are also plenty of other healthy habits you can practice to prevent illness. Follow these tips to stay healthy this flu season:
- Keep your distance from friends and family when you’re sick to help prevent infecting others.
- When possible, stay home from work and school when you’re sick to prevent the spread of infection to others in your community.
- Wash your hands to prevent the spread of germs, and keep an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with you for times when soap and water are unavailable.
- Clean and disinfect frequently-touched surfaces like doorknobs, countertops, keyboards and phones.
In severe cases, the flu can lead to hospitalization – causing stress and leading to costly hospital bills. Before a serious health concern arises, it can be helpful to find ways to save on your everyday medications by participating in prescription discount programs like Community Cares Rx.
To learn more about consumer prescription savings programs that deliver real results for pharmacies and the community at large, please visit www.paramountrx.com.