‘Self care’ may be a popular buzzword, but it’s true that taking care of yourself goes a long way toward a healthier lifestyle and a healthier heart. Staying active, preparing nutritious meals, getting quality sleep, and taking a moment to de-stress are all small steps you can take to improve your heart health. In honor of American Heart Month, check out these heart health facts and tips:
Heart Fast Facts –
- The average human heart is the size of two fists.
- Heart disease accounts for nearly one-third of all deaths worldwide
- On average, the resting heart rate fluctuates between 60 and 100 beats per minute. That means over the course of a year, your heart beats more than 40 million times.
- A woman’s average heartbeat is faster than a man’s by almost eight beats per minute.
- Each minute, your heart pumps 1.5 gallons of blood – that’s 2,000 gallons every day!
Healthy Heart Quick Tips –
- Eat your greens. Leafy green vegetables like spinach and kale are high in vitamin K and nitrates, which can help reduce blood pressure and improve arterial function. Studies show that a higher intake of leafy greens is associated with a lower risk of heart disease.
- Laugh out loud. The American Heart Association suggests that laughing can lower stress hormones and decrease inflammation in your arteries.
- Quit Smoking. Smoking is the leading cause of heart attacks and heart disease, and your blood pressure and heart rate lower almost immediately after kicking the habit.
- Keep moving. Getting at least 150 minutes of aerobic exercise per week is linked to improved sleep, memory and balance!
These small changes can help you start 2021 off right with a healthier heart. While you’re on your journey to better health, Paramount Rx can provide great savings on the prescriptions that you and your family use every day.
For more details on Community Cares Rx and other programs that provide costs saving on prescription medications, please visit www.paramountrx.com.